Sunday, February 13, 2011

This ones for my mom :

This girl is my mom. I am here because of her ( obviously shes my mom ...keep up people) The reason I have been thinking of her so much lately hasnt been the most pleasant reasons. This woman, my mom, has an icky disease called Lupus. Lupus is a curse word in our house. It is an awful disease where your bodies immune system decides it wants to attack all your vital organs till they no longer work like they should. When I was in Elementary school I wrote a Reflections essay about Lupus and how I wanted to find a cure for it so I no longer had to see my mom in pain. Im sorry to say I never found that cure and sadly no one else has either. I know my mom is strong she is very strong and mostly she is positive through her illness. This past couple of months have been scary. She is having a lot of problems with her Lupus. At a doctors appointment they discovered that she had a very very low blood platelet level and that she would be back on Prednisone

Prednisone is used alone or with other medications to treat the symptoms of low corticosteroid levels (lack of certain substances that are usually produced by the body and are needed for normal body functioning). 
It works to treat patients with low levels of corticosteroids by replacing steroids that are normally produced naturally by the body. It works to treat other conditions by reducing swelling and redness and by changing the way the immune system works.



Its not the first time my mom has been on this medicine. In fact shes been on it a lot of times. Recently she has been really tired. I can tell its taking a lot out of her. She is not very positive anymore when she talks about her Lupus and how its making her feel. Today she told me she thinks its unfair. Thats a word Ive never heard my mom use. Were waiting to get results back from the doctor to see if her low blood platelets are from her Lupus or from Cancer. I hate putting that word in the same sentence, paragraph or any conversation involving my mom. I am scared. I cant even begin to imagine my life without my mom or a life without the mom i know and her lively attitude and way of going through life. Everytime she calls me I am worried its going to be her telling me she got her results back and that she in fact has cancer. I now feel so much more compassion to people everywhere who have in countered cancer within their families or any disease that causes pain to those they love. To my mom I think this quote is fitting

 

“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem." 

Christopher Robin to Pooh


I love you mom and am praying that things work out as they should. I know that you can make it through. Keep being strong and fighting this awfully, hideous, completely unfair and icky Lupus. Love you!



4 comments:

  1. good luck to your mommy. she'll be in my prayers too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i had no idea your mom has lupus. weirdly enough, mine does too. i knew we were destined to be friends. i also have a very intimate understanding of what you are going through right now. i am sorry. it's awful. i hope beyond hope that everything is okay-or at least as okay as it can be, and i am praying for you and your mom. i don't know her, but give her a hug from me anyway.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lindsay hope things go ok for your mom too!

    ReplyDelete