Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Character

 I have to admit something. I have from time to time wondered if people are really bad judges of character. I've felt un easy over some specific things and situations . I have tried all I can to let it go, to let those feelings go, to not let it occupy my mind. When I think about it and why it upsets me so much I think  it has everything to do with character. William Ellery Channing said that "Every human being is intended to have a character of his own; to be what no other is, and to do what no other can do."
 so, is it a bad thing to use someone or something as a source of what not to do or how not to be? Their character isnt what I want to have as my own. I am learning along the way to try my hardest at not being  who I dont want to be. Its a hard thing to do. I saw something online when I searched character. It said how character has 6 pillars
and I agree with them they are:

1.Trustworthiness
2.Respect
3.Responsibility
4.Fairness
5.Caring
6.Citizenship

I feel somewhat bad for judging anothers character but in a way it helps me with my own.These 6 things are hard to have at all times in ones character but I am realizing that they are things I would hope for and strive for in my own life. If the people I am around arent striving for those things then its ok to just not be around them.  I really dont get how others are such bad judges of a persons character or knowing the persons character still chooses to be around someone with or without those traits like their own. Guess that is one of the things I can add to the list of things I will never understand.There was a quote that I found that I really like it's by Confucius

"It is true that we shall not be able to reach perfection, but in our struggle toward it we shall strengthen our characters and give stability to our ideas, so that, whilst ever advancing calmly in the same direction, we shall be rendered capable of applying the faculties with which we have been gifted to the best possible account."

Thats why I am around the people I am around. Thats why I am who I am. It is why certain people just mesh better with other people. Im realizing that its ok to not get along with everyone. The people who go in the same direction as you. Those are the ones you keep. Those are the ones whos character matches your own. I honestly believe that people come in and out of our lives at the times they do for a purpose. It is just a matter of learning from them and finding the purpose of them in your life. Along with that, I think the things we go through are for a purpose and are a way for us to develop our character. Character is meant to be developed and worked on. So Heather, its ok when your character is lacking. Its ok when a friends character hurt you. Its ok that another person isnt clicking with you because your character is different then theirs. Its ok when you are mad or frustrated with another person, or you dont see things in the same way. Maybe they are struggling with their character or you with yours. Maybe people are bad judges of another character and thats ok because Character is meant to be developed.{And} if its meant to be developed then its not perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment